OUR RETREATS ARE BEING HELD ONE SUNDAY EACH MONTH AT OUR PRIVATE RESIDENCE IN LAS CRUCES. ZAZENKAI IS HELD FROM 7:00AM-3PM. TO ACCOMMODATE NEWER PRACTITIONERS, WE DO ALLOW FLEXIBLE HOURS OF ATTENDANCE. AN EXAMPLE OF OUR TYPICAL SCHEDULE IS BELOW. NEW PRACTITIONERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND AND PRACTICE AT THEIR OWN PACE. ALTERNATIVE CONTEMPLATIVE ACTIVITIES ARE PROVIDED FOR THOSE WHO ARE VERY NEW TO SITTING AND NEED PERIODIC BREAKS (e.g. Art practice, Zen Study, Private interview with Sensei, Outdoor walking meditation, Tai Chi, Work practice and helping in the kitchen). Space is limited.
FURTHER DETAILS FOR EACH RETREAT WILL BE SENT OUT TO REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS VIA EMAIL. PLEASE CONTACT REV. SHUKKE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE OR HAVE QUESTIONS. RESERVATIONS ARE TAKEN UP TO A FEW DAYS PRIOR TO EACH EVENT. FEE $15 TO BE PAID AHEAD OF THE EVENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF FOOD AND SUPPLIES. JIISHA2ABBOT@GMAIL.COM 575-644-4526
NEXT RETREAT: SEPTEMBER ZAZENKAI: O'HIGAN-Celebration of the Autumnal Equinox-Sunday, September 24th 6:00am-3:00pm
Abbot's Residence (contact if you need directions)
GENERAL FORMAT: The requested fee for food is $15 paid ahead so the Tenzo (cook) may shop ahead of time. Please advise regarding food issues well in advance of the event. Participants may come and go as they are able. Newcomers will have alternative contemplative practice options if unable to meditate according to the schedule below. Newcomers may bring reading material and art practice materials to the retreat. For more experienced practitioners, Zazen (seated meditation) may be performed instead of any other practice (except Samu) during the retreat. Dana (donation) to the teacher is additional and at your discretion. This offering is a Zen tradition based upon the value placed on the opportunity to practice with Sangha (community). It helps maintain continued services to you and our community.
Please RSVP before Friday, September 22nd to Shukke-sensei at firstname.lastname@example.org
September Retreat Schedule (The entire day in Noble Silence)
PLEASE NOTE: DOOR OPENS AT 5:30am. You are welcome to come in anytime after that. No need to ring bell. Just enter and remove shoes. _/\_
- 6:00-6:45am Eat breakfast
- 6:45-7:00am Zendo Samu
- 7:00-7:30am Zazen
- 7:30-8:30am Neighborhood Contemplative Walk (weather permitting)
- 8:30-9:30am Study Group
- 9:30-10:00am Zazen
- 10:00-11:00am Opening Service, Tea and Dharma talk
- 11:00-12:00pm Zazen
- 12:00-1:00pm Contemplative Lunch
- 1:00-2:00pm Samu
- 2:00-3:00pm Zazen/Closing Service
What you need to bring:
- Any personal practice equipment: Water bottle, Zafu/seiza bench, Zabutan, clean, dark-colored, comfortable, loose, modest clothing, socks, Rakusu/ Wagessa (Please: no spandex, shorts or tank tops _/\_)
- Personal Items: Medications, anything you can think of that may be Necessary for the day
- Food issues? Please let Rev. Shukke know well in advance so that your needs may be met by the Tenzo. All meals are vegetarian.